Image Map

Banana Pancakes {not to be confused with banana hammocks}

Don't ask me why, buts while menu planning earlier this week, I got this idea of making pancakes for Sunday breakfast stuck in my head. No matter what else I tried thinking about, I kept coming back to pancakes. Trevor and I are more pour-me-a-bowl-of-Honey-Nut-Cheerios people and when we're really feeling fancy we go all out with bagels and cream cheese... so my sudden urge to whip up a batch of pancakes at the crack of dawn came as a surprise.

I searched all over Pinterest, food.com, recipe.com, and any other site that had pancake recipes because I was dead set on not making heavy sit-in-your-gut-till-dinner cakes. I found a few recipes that I tweaked and combined to bring you today's recipe:

Dairy Free, Oil Free, Egg Free, Could Easily Be Made Gluten Free, No Added Sugar, Vegan Banana Pancakes


They look pretty darn good, right? Ohhh, they were, friends, oh they were.

Here's what you need to make your own - keep in mind this is enough for two people so if you're feeding your brood you will want to at least double everything:

3/4 cup dry oatmeal {old fashioned oats and quick oats are both fine but use a GF version if your diet requires it}
3/4 cup almond milk {you could sub any type of milk for this, but I have a small obsession with almond milk so that's what I chose}
1 yellow banana {here's your chance to use up those overripe bananas!}
1/4 cup whole wheat flour {you could sub any type of flour here if you need GF or have other dietary restrictions}
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
a "splash" of vanilla
a pinch of salt
optional: 1 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup pecans

Grab your blender or food processor. Put everything in except the banana {and chocolate chips or pecans if you're using those}. Blend until smooth. Then add the banana and blend again until smooth. Add your chocolate chips and/or pecans now, if you are using them.

Spoon your batter onto a preheated griddle {or pan}. I set my stove to 4 out of 10 - basically a little cooler than medium. When you see the batter getting bubbles on top of the pancakes, flip those babies over! Remove from heat when both sides are nice and toasty brown.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then eat!

I served mine with berries and whipped cream {which obviously negates the no-dairy thing, but you don't have to add it!} because we had both in the fridge and I'm not a huge maple syrup person but you can eat them however you like. Heck, smother them with peanut butter and eat them proudly if you so desire!

Enjoy!

check this out!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen recipes like this a few times (w/banana) but I'm not a big banana person. My question: Does it taste like banana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a hint of banana taste, but it's definitely not overwhelming by any means. The batch that I made with the cocoa powder tasted the least like banana if that helps you, Sheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! Kyle would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Love Love!!!! WILL be making these

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...