Image Map

we are our own worst critics

I've been wanting to write today's post for weeks... but I knew I needed to be in the right mindset to sit down and lay my heart out there. Today, I'm feeling vulnerable and ready to share. Plus, I know most {if not all} of you reading feel this way at some point. Join in the conversation!

We are our own worst critics. It's true! Stand me in front of a mirror and I will list off everything I wish could be changed: I think my face is too fat, my thighs touch, my eyebrows have a mind of their own, I hate wearing glasses, my skin is covered in blemishes, I wish my arms were toned... and on and on.

So I'm taking a stand. I'm deliberately going to choose to focus on the good in me, rather than pick apart my flaws and weaknesses. I urge you to join me, if only for a day, just to take back some positivity!

Yeah, my legs aren't stick thin... but they are some damn strong legs if I can say so! I consistently have to set leg machines higher at the gym to get some resistance. My legs allow me to run all over at work, they allow me to run for exercise, and my calves are sexy to boot!

My skin is so sensitive and I'm allergic to just about everything under the sun. But you know what? It's part of my genetic makeup - my grandma is the same way - and I'm proud of that connection she and I have. It's not ideal {God knows I'd love to have my ears pierced!} but it gives me comfort in knowing my grandma is part of me.

I wish I could lose another 10 pounds. But my body is strong and healthy because I sty active and feed it tons of fruits and veggies - and when I do decide to splurge, thank goodness for the metabolism I have, because I don't usually pack on the pounds.

My patients at work consistently tell me how kind I am, how much patience I have, how I have a loving heart, and how I will make the most wonderful nurse. I am proud of who I have become! Adolescence wasn't the easiest for me {what, with being part of a broken family, with a mother who remarried a man I didn't get along with at the time, graduating early from high school, and being a college student at age 17} but I have come a LONG way and my conscience knows what's right and wrong and guilt tugs at my heartstrings if I stray from 'right'.

I may not look like the women we see in magazines. I may not be as tall as them, have long beautiful flowing hair like they do, have toned thighs, or have a perfectly slim {blemish free} face, but I am me. I am the only one of me. I am beautiful in my own way. I don't need to be photoshopped.

As women, we need to learn to love ourselves.
For our own sanity.
To be good role models for our daughters.
To set an example for all young women.
Because we deserve it.

Dove released a video 3 days ago that has been viewed over THREE MILLION times. It fits with my commentary so well that you've got to watch it. It only takes three minutes and is worth your time, I promise.


we are our own worst critics.
but we deserve better than our toxic thoughts.

What makes you beautiful? Please share below.

check this out!

7 comments:

  1. that video is incredible! I watched it earlier this morning...glad you posted it here for more to see it. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Sara! :) I wish more women loved themselves and saw themselves as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. I watched the video this morning. I love the Dove ads and wish more women were as good as listing their pluses as they are their minuses. I'm very cognizant of that in myself and while I know what my weaknesses are, I also know what my strengths are and I'm proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great post.

    I think one of the hardest lessons for me to learn was to accept compliments with a simple thank you instead of something like "oh you think? you really like it?" or "no, i look terrible today are you kidding?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an absolutely amazing video! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE truly are our own worse critics! I loved this post! I will join you! It's time to start working on focusing on the positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is very difficult for me to focus on the positives of me. physically, i do love my eyes, but that is about it. this is the second time that i have watched this video. yet, i find myself thinking it would be different for me...my two sketches wouldn't be that different.

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...