Image Map

Making Strawberry Freezer Jam

Last week, I spent a couple of hours at a local pick-your-own strawberry place. It was a relaxing way to spend a morning alone.

So I hopped on a wagon that takes you out to the field...

And I started picking along with a bunch of other people. We were each given our own rows and picked to our little heart's content.


My berries soon started to pile up...


There were a lot of these...


And a few of these prickly little fellas...


Eventually, I decided I had enough berries. I was having a hard time not eating them while I was still picking!

I knew that I wanted to make freezer jam with some of the berries because I had done it last summer and the jam turned out so delicious! I ran to the store and got the low/no sugar version of SureJell. Sorry I didn't get a picture, but it's the only one in a pink box!

Making the jam was really simple. I smashed up a bunch of washed strawberries to get 4 cups of mush. It looked somethin' like this:

Then, in a separate pot, I mixed the SureJell and 3 cups of sugar (yes, this is the low sugar version!) then added 1 cup of water and mixed it all up.

On medium heat, I brought the mixture to a boil for one minute making sure that I was stirring the whole time. Once my 60 seconds were up, I removed it from the heat and added the strawberry mush to the sugar/pectin liquid and stirred that for a minute. Once that was well mixed up, I poured the goo into the containers that I had pre-washed.
Once the jam is poured into the containers, you let it sit for 24 hours and then you put it in the freezer. It will stay good for up to a year frozen and up to a month refrigerated.

It's an easy and quick recipe that makes scrumptious jam for toast. You'll thank yourself when you use it in the middle of January and haven't had fresh strawberries for months, trust me.

You know what else is pretty awesome? I was able to check this off my summer bucket list! Yeah!

Here's a link to Kraft's SureJell recipe, but it's the same method that I used and posted about.

Have you ever made freezer jam? How'd it turn out? Are there any pick-your-own places near you so you can enjoy fresh berries like I have been doing?

Linking up to Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Mandy's Recipe Box, and Natasha in Oz!

2 comments:

  1. What lovely photos! And yum with the homemade strawberry jam. You're making my tummy grumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos! I had a pretty great time taking them. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...