Image Map

Career Options

Today is another day in the Summer Blogging Challenge! Here goes nothin'!

June 22 - When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

For the most part, when I was younger, I didn't change my mind too much about what I wanted to do with my life. I've totally made up for that now that I'm older, have two (unrelated) college degrees that I'm not using, have a small alphabet of letters after my name, and am planning on going back to school again!

My first career goal was to be an ambulance driver. I didn't want to be an EMT, didn't want to deal with the hurt people, but I just wanted to be able to drive fast and make traffic lights turn green for me!

My second, long-lasting career goal was to be a marine biologist. I even started looking at colleges when I was in middle school that are located in Hawaii and on the East Coast and have great marine biology programs - I was that passionate! In third grade, I would walk to the local library after school with a friend to read books about dolphins and whales and all sorts of marine life. We kept notebooks with all of the research we did. Bottom line: we were marine biology nerds.
Who wouldn't want to have this be their office?! (source)

I dreamed of swimming with the dolphins but never had the chance to. I dreamed of going on whale watching boats but we don't have those in Wisconsin. I dreamed of learning to scuba dive but I couldn't risk getting water in my ears.          
So many reasons {excuses} why my passion fizzled.

I still love science and every career choice I've made up to this point has been science related. Guess that's the one constant in my hopes and dreams!


This post is part of the Summer Blog Challenge. To see more posts inspired by the challenge visit my Summer Blog Challenge page!

5 comments:

  1. I'd enjoy having the view of fish and other underwater life as my office! Laughed when I read about why you wanted to be an ambulance driver. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the water as well. Mostly just to swim in, but I see your passion. My uncle who loves biology ended up moving to the KEYS and becoming the person who would help tourist HOOK fish! I would love to have my OFFICE be an underwater sanctuary. So what do you do now to still fulfill your passion for science? hobbies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed my post :)

    I'm working on a post that explores the ins and outs of my job, but to simplify, I work in health care. More specifically, I work in a hospital with mostly surgical patients that have had joints replaced.

    It's not what I want to do with my life forever, but for now it fulfills my love of helping sick people and the sciences.

    As for hobbies, I'm not lying when I say I don't have time for them - I work 12-13 hour days and don't have much free time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have the giant Lisa Frank ocean posters on your wall? :D I'm definitely guilty. My room looked like I was swimming in a cartoon ocean of dolphins wearing mascara. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shai, while I loved my Lisa Frank dolphins, I saved them for adorning my Trapper Keepers ;) I would have been guilty, too, but I don't think I had any Lisa Frank posters! I remember having one poster of real dolphins in my room, but not a whole lot else.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...