Image Map

Our Marriage

A couple of weeks ago, I asked you guys what you'd like to see more of here at You.And.Me.Are.We and a couple of you wanted to see more posts on marriage. You want to get to know Trevor and I better and that's pretty darn cool!

I've written about our marriage before, so you will definitely want to read these posts as well. I promise they contain words of wisdom that you won't find in this post. They're worth reading!
Strengthen Your Relationship - Communication Tips
Words of Wisdom
Something I'm Proud Of
My Hunny, My Sweetie, My Valentine


He's a little run down on who we are and what our marriage is like:

Trevor and I met in high school {although, technically, we met when I was in 8th grade because I was friends with his younger sister and was at their house a few times - he didn't like me then because he didn't like ANY of his sister's friends} and officially started dating in 2005 when I was a junior and he was a senior. We had a handful of mutual friends and kind of stumbled upon each other... for whatever reason it just clicked.

Trevor went off to college that fall and I finished one semester of my senior year, graduated a semester early, and headed off to college myself. Incidentally, we both attended the same college. College was good and bad for our relationship; there were periods of time that we "cooled" it off when we were both busy as ever with school, but there was a year that we lived across the street from each other off campus and made it pretty easy to make dinner together.
Us at a friend's birthday party - this is from the early college years; 2006 or 2007, I think.
We look so young!
Trevor proposed in June 2010 - a year and a week before we said "I Do". Be on the lookout for our engagement story in the coming months {I've got a series in mind!}. We planned an intimate wedding for June 2011 and managed to host the most beautiful wedding I've ever been to - though I may be biased.

We had lived together for less than a year before we were married because Trevor's lease was up and he couldn't move home due to a new baby in the family. Our families never suggested we live together, but in order to save a great deal of money, it was agreed that we'd do it. I always had thought that living together before marriage may be useful because you could work any kinks out before heading to the altar. Trevor is the most easy-going person I know and we never found any big adjustment issues when he moved into my tiny one bedroom apartment.
On our honeymoon in Jamaica - June 2011
I didn't think that getting married would change a lot in our relationship - boy, was I wrong! It did change, and it changed for the better. I was completely elated to know that I was forever bonded with my best friend and that we'd worth our way through whatever was thrown our way. I loved him more than I thought I could. My love grew in ways I had never imagined and it positively changed the way I felt about my husband.
First anniversary dinner at the restaurant that catered our reception - June 2012

We haven't even been married for two years but we've been through our fair share. We are constantly struggling financially and still wanting to buy a house as soon as possible. We live as frugally as we can right now because Trevor is still looking for a job where he can use the degree he earned in December. I work to support us while going to school. We don't buy any extras and get as creative as we can with what we have. It's not a forever solution, but it is teaching us skills we will need to have if and when we run into similar issues later down the line.
At the cottage - August 2012
We've also learned we need to forgive each other - always. We cannot let issues in our lives take over the best thing that's happened to us {our marriage}. Forgive, forgive, forgive. And when you think you can't forgive any more, forgive again.

We've traveled together, we've cried together, we've jumped around in excitement together, we've changed together, we've sacrificed for each other, we've laughed till we pee our pants together, and best of all, we've loved each other.

Marriage is a wonderful, amazing bond to share.

If you're married, tell me about your marriage! If you're not, tell me what you're looking forward to most after you say "I Do".

check this out!

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing that things do change once you are married. They constantly change but it always gets better. :) You guys definitely seem perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your marriage story! It looks like from the picture you honeymooned at Couples Tower Isle in Jamaica?! We did too and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing! I was not too interested in getting married, we already lived together and I could not see the reason why we should. Then immigration, visas and other practical reasons became very difficult, and we got married. It changed a few things, but I can not explain everything. We also struggle, and hope that soon we can get better jobs and a home by ourself! You guys have such an aura around you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you guys have learned so much about marriage so quickly! And we got engaged at almost the same time--my guy proposed July 2, 2010

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love learning more about other people's relationships and how they make them work. It's fun to get to know you better. You guys seem to have a great thing going and I'm so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...