Image Map

Healthy Eating for Kids

July 25 - Give us 3 easy healthy meals or snacks for young kids & toddlers.


I was brought up eating lots of vegetables and not a lot of sugar {uh, duh, I grew up on an organic farm!}. I got to go with my mom or dad to the grocery store every weekend and pick out one sugary treat for the week. Then, I had to ration it {that was the hard part} so that it lasted me until the next weekend when I was allowed to get more. Maybe that's why I have such a sweet tooth, but that's besides the point. What I'm really trying to say here is that it's important for kids to eat healthy food!

Kids will eat when they're hungry. And if you teach them to make smart food decisions, they will - maybe not when they're 3 or 4, but when they're 33 or 34.

Any type of veggie is a good option for young kids and toddlers. As long as the pieces are small enough so they won't choke, all is well. Cut up bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers for the kids to snack on!
(via)
On the same note, encourage your kids to eat fruit. I've known plenty of young children who love to eat strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, and bananas. Again, cut them small enough so there is no choking hazard and let them feed themselves.

And finally, as a general tip, make food fun! Make kabobs, dip fruit in greek yogurt, allow your children to be a part of the meal planning/making process, cube up eggs and low-fat cheese and squish them between your fingers before eating, and theme your meals {I can still remember the Halloween dinners my dad used to make: witches hair (spaghetti), eyeballs (grapes), swamp water (water with food coloring in it), fingernails (almonds), etc.}. Whatever you do, enjoy your food together!


Nourish their bodies with healthy food and if they're anything like me, they will grow up craving salads and fresh fruit!


This post is part of the Summer Blog Challenge.
To see more posts inspired by the challenge visit my Summer Blog Challenge page!

6 comments:

  1. Very good advice! I like the theme meal your dad did. That's really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children really form their eating habits so young. I see very clearly how my parents influenced my own eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of theme meals. next week for the Olympics I have some neat meals planned around it! My little is too young to understand them at this point , but he loves black olives. BUT ONLY if he can put them on his finger first and then eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black olives eaten from the fingers are really the ONLY way to eat them ;)

    My fingers are too big otherwise I'd still be doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really hard to let kids eat vegetables. Most kids don't like it and would prefer meat or chickens. Indeed, kids will eat if they are hungry even vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please let me know if you're looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'ԁ absolutely love to ωrite some material for your
    blog in еxchange for а link baсk tο mine.
    Рleasе blаst me an e-mail іf іnteresteԁ.
    Mаny thаnks!
    Here is my blog post : symptoms and treatment of mono

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...