Image Map

President for a Day: Honesty About Politics

July 19 - If you were president for a day, what is one law you would change? - from Hannah at Baby Knows Best

Ok peeps, it's time to get honest. Sorry if this isn't pretty...

I really, really, really don't want to bring politics into You.And.Me.Are.We. Why, you ask? Well, as you know I'm from the great state of Wisconsin. If you've been tuned into American politics at all in the last year and a half there's a good chance you've heard about the crap our state has been dealing with. Here's a short story: we elected a governor, early last year he began taking away collective bargaining rights from state workers (think: teachers, DNR, etc.), this led to major protests at our state capitol (in Madison) and around the state {both of which lasted for weeks} because people were pissed, and a group collected enough signatures from citizens {around a million} to hold a recall election. The recall election was in early June and the current governor was not voted out.
Wisconsin protests (via)
What does this lame back story have to do with being president for a day? Well, the political turmoil in our state literally put neighbors at odds with neighbors, sisters are not speaking to brothers, jobs have been lost over opinions, and we have had enough political TV ads to last us a lifetime. {No, really, we've had constant political attack ads running on our TVs since last February - 17 months ago!}

I'm sick of politics. I'm sick of people getting their undies in a bunch because they aren't getting their way {this goes both ways}. I'm sick of politicians lying. I'm sick of backhanded, downright mean attack ads. I'm sick of it all.

And because of this, I'm afraid to share what I'd do if I were the POTUS for a day. What if I said I wanted to cut taxes? Then you'd all think I vote leaning right. What if I said I wanted to make sure there was enough money to take care of the mothers and children who don't have a place to call home? Then you'd all think I vote leaning left.

So I'm going to leave you with what I'd do that I think everyone can agree on: I'd make a law that forced both sides of the aisle to work together. I'd make a law that forbid Big Money from getting their paws all mixed up in Washington DC so that our politicians could work on healing our country by addressing the needs of our citizens. I'd make a law that wouldn't allow lawmakers to hide behind decisions - so that we could see exactly what our elected officials do.

Sorry for turning today's prompt into a little bit of a rant and for throwing in that little run-around. Outside of Blogging World, I enjoy discussing politics and come from a family that discusses that sort of thing around the dinner table. Normally, I'd have no problems telling you what I think because part of life is agreeing to disagree. But I've chosen to keep politics out of You.And.Me.Are.We for the most part because they are so polarizing and can cause huge rifts in relationships that were meant to be unbreakable.

I hope you understand and that you'll come back to read another {more positive post} tomorrow. I promise I won't be such a Debbie Downer!

This post is part of the Summer Blog Challenge. 
To see more posts inspired by the challenge visit my Summer Blog Challenge page!

9 comments:

  1. I had a difficult time with this prompt as well and went back and forth about whether to post or not. Politics are really a touchy subject, especially if that's not the main focus of one's blog (like mine or yours).

    I think what you wrote is powerful and thought-provoking in itself. How each of us interprets the prompts is what makes the Summer Blog Challenge interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post girl and had to share your blog is super cute! Found you on the twitter link up! Can't wait to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a hard challenge to write about. To just pick one issue was hard. I like your answer though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not a downer at all. I am smiling ear to ear. What a fantastic idea, to get both sides talking!! (Did you read the post about the group working for respect among people with different views?)

    I appreciate dialogue and conversation. I also appreciate passion.

    My comments on both sides of the fence today have been positive.

    I think it is the ONLY way to effect change: to listen, to really hear and to not condescend or posture.

    Brava!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I talk about politics with my friends but I don't mention it on my blog at all. It's just too touchy of a subject.

    But seriously? I know so many people who are no longer friends or who aren't speaking to each other because of the recall election. I think it's because of the recall election that I'm not that excited for the pres. election in November...I feel like us Wisconsites already went through the election, will all the mud-slinging and political ads we've seen for the past year and a half.

    It's cliche, but can't we all just get along?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I'd be a downer if all that negativity was going on in my state. I don't watch much TV, so I'd miss a lot of it. But to divide families--that's rough. I agree about Big Money. They've got no business in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I will absolutely put your button on my blog--if you do the same! Excited to get to know you better!

    Amanda at: weandserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I will absolutely put your button on my blog--if you do the same! Excited to get to know you better!

    Amanda at: weandserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I will absolutely put your button on my blog--if you do the same! Excited to get to know you better!

    Amanda at: weandserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...