Image Map

High School Friendships

July 8 - Song lyrics that you find some meaning in.

Note: I have a similar post from last week that definitely falls under this prompt, too. Check it out here!

Hearing a song on the radio unexpectedly can turn a "ehhh" day to a "HECK YES!" day if I identify the song as being from an important point in my life.

You know, like the song that was playing the first time you danced with a boy that you really liked. {Brian McKnight's Back at One}

Or the first song you danced to as husband and wife. {Doris Day's Again}.

How about the song that was played after graduation? {Green Day's Time of Your Life}

There's also a song that holds a special place in my heart and lives among memories of the carefree days that came with summers off in high school. Myself and three other girls were close and considered Vanessa Carlton's White Houses our anthem.

The song explains where we were in our lives at that age...


We promise each other it's 'til the end
Now we're spinning empty bottles
It's the five of us
With pretty eyed boys girls die to trust

...and...
Maybe I'm more clever than a girl like her
Summer's all in bloom
Summer is ending soon
It's alright and it's nice not to be so alone
But I hold on to your secrets in white houses

...and...
Maybe I'm a little bit over my head
I come undone at the things he said
And he's so funny in his bright red shirt
We were all in love and we all got hurt
I sneak into his car's cracked leather seat
The smell of gasoline in the summer heat
Boy, we're going way too fast
It's all too sweet to last



That song comes on and it takes me right back to the days of high school... spending too much time with my girlfriends laughing about things we wouldn't remember, lusting over boys we shouldn't have, telling secrets, and making memories.  

High school was years and years ago but White Houses never fails to remind me of the friendships I had back then. I'm still in touch with the three girls and though we've grown apart {literally and figuratively} this song will never leave my heart.

This post is part of the Summer Blog Challenge. To see more posts inspired by the challenge visit my Summer Blog Challenge page!

6 comments:

  1. What a fun post. I really enjoyed Doris Day. It sure turned my mood from incredibly sleepy to away and joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique combination of songs. I think high school probably has the most song related memories associated for me. As a female, the teenage years were a time of intense emotion (i.e. exaggerated).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Melissa, you aren't kidding when you say intense emotion :) High school was quite the roller coaster for me... as I'm sure it was for most girls. Drama galore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time of Your Life - oh my gosh...I completely forgot about that song. I really like that one too. Should have included that on my list. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time of Your Life reminds me of my best friend through elementary and most of high school; we kind of parted ways, but reconnected about two years after graduation. Right after we found each other again, she was killed by a drunk driver. I insisted that this song be played at her remembrance service, as it was our song as a group of friends. We had "club" similar to yours, and even though it was our graduation song also, I never am reminded of graduation when I hear it.
    The song brings me much joy in memories almost forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right. I can hear songs from more than thirty years ago and be catapulted right back to those spaces and times.

    So grateful for your words this morning. I always enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments :) I read every single one! Leave me some lovin'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...